Sonntag, 19. Januar 2020

Whimsy Stamps Tutorial Shaker Card and Shadow Box Card

I am so excited to show you the first tutorial from this year.
You will also find a post at the Whimsy Blog, just click here (a shorter version).

A special card, but what? I wasn't sure, which kind of tutorial I will made. I think about and take all my Whimsy crafty stuff. As I hold my Shaker Dies in the hand I get an idea.

Why not a combination between two card forms? Can I made a Shaker including a Shadow Box card? Can I manage that the dies fits perfectly? 

This was a challenge to me and I made one card to try and the second card I used for the tutorial. 

first card, without coloring

It is simple beautiful.


this is the second card, with a little coloring

It looks like evening atmosphere, if you open the card it is night. 


The first time I saw a Shadow Box, was at a tutorial from Jennifer McGuire. She share a lot of ideas/ brands, gives inspirations and is maybe one the famous card maker, that I know. 

I want to share you a special card, normally we craft two cards, but what is if we combine? It is the first time, that I try a combine card like this one.

What do you need?

You need follow materials: 
  • paper (I use card stock, it is a thicker paper 120lb, european is 200g)
  • paper trimmer
  • scoring board
  • acetat foil/ laminated foil
  • Big Shot or other die cut machine
  • Shaker Card Foam Tape
  • Whimsy Stamps metal Craft Die "Shaker Maker Rectangle"
  • Whimsy Stamps metal Craft Die "Forest Majesty Die Set"
  • Dies from your stuff
  • Shaker material, Whimsy have a great selection, for example Sprinkletz or Sprakletz
  • for the colorful card, I used Distress Oxide Ink
  • Water for Sprinkle (if you love the colorful)
  • Watercolor from your stuff
  • a lot of fun to create a card

How I made this card?

I show you step by step, how I made this card. Let us start.



You need two sheets of paper  8x5.25 Inch. 
(Sorry, I use this time only Inch, because Whimsy Stamps are an American Company and the measure isn't metric)

I use one paper and fold it in half on the length side, this means at 4 Inch. It looks like a card. After this I use my paper trimmer and cut 0.25Inch strip away. So one side is a little bit smaller.


Now take the second paper and I score it at 0.5, 4 and 4.5 Inch. Fold this, it looks like a box 
(picture 2). 
Now use again the paper trimmer to cut of on the 0.5 Inch side only a tiny strip. 


I  use the smaller Rectangle frame from the Whimsy Die and search a rectangle die from your stuff to cut out the window. You can use the same size, like the inside frame or a little bit taller. I used the second version. That I can center it correctly I lay down the frame, where I want to have them later. Than I use my pencil to mark it. After than I center the window die and hold them in place with tape.



Now I have my window and I framed it. You can see it on the second picture. 

Masking technique 



I use here paper #1 and mask the 4 Inch side, so I can work on the smaller side. I want to color it. I also mask a circle on the card. This should be later the moon. 
I used my Distress Oxide Inks for fast blending (Seedless Preserve, Salty Ocean and Tumbled Glass).  After blending I add sprinkle (White, Gold and Interference Blue). 
I used my heat tool for dry the colors. I remove the mask and color a few details to the moon.




I prepare all die cuts for my project. I used already the inner frame. I used the remaining paper to cut out some snowbanks. 

I began to decorate and than I thought it will be easier to glue the window paper into the card. So I can look exactly where I want the scene. For this I used dopple sided glue tape on the smallest scoring edge (here the 0.5 side). I lay down the inner card (Shadow Box) and closed the card, if you opened it glue perfectly and looks like on the picture. 
Now I finish the decoration.


I turned the card and put dopple side glue tape on the card base (it is the smaller side from the card), than use the paper from the window box and close the card, it fits perfectly and if you open it looks like this.

Tip:
You can finish the card, if you decorate the front,

Shaker Card

I show you how you can made a Shaker on the front side, you can use this technique also for a regular Shaker card. 


I decorate the frame and add an acetate foil to it. I also distressed the fron panel with a lighter version. 

I add foam tape to the frame, but I don't remove all the paper from the tape, because it is easier to add it to the card base. I also add sequins/ glitter/ Shaker material to the same frame, before I add the card. It is a little difficult/ challenging to add the card to the frame.

Now your Shaker and Shadow Box card is finish. 



You want save this tutorial or print out... here you get your free PDF.

Maybe you like a small video. I made one with all the picture. You will find this video also in Youtube, please follow this link... 





Hope you like this kind of card. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for your interest on my blog and thanks for your lovely comment.

Hugs Ute





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen